LED-backlit LCD TVs differ from conventional CCFL-backlit LCD TVs in the following:
- They can produce an image with greater dynamic contrast compared with CCFL-backlit LCD TVs.
- With Edge-LED lighting they can be extremely slim. Current models on the market can be approximately one inch thick.
- They can offer a wider color gamut, especially when RGB-LED backlighting is used.
- Lesser environmental pollution on disposal.
- Higher cost due to current market product placement.
- Generally have a lower power consumption in the realm of 20-30%.
Because LEDs are able to be switched on and off more quickly than CCFL displays and can offer a higher light output, it is theoretically possible to offer very high contrast ratios. They can produce deep blacks (LEDs off) and a high brightness (LEDs on), however care should be taken with measurements made from pure black and pure white outputs, as technologies like Edge-LED lighting do not allow these outputs to be reproduced simultaneously on-screen.